Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Arrival in Chilchota, Michoacan


*fantastic band from the last night´s procession


::::::::::::mysto fog clearing::::::revealing a procession in the street below my temporary crash pad, which is la galeria perdida in Chilchota, Michoacan. I arrived here yesterday The procession is part of a 9 day long festival honoring Chichota´s patron saint, Santo Santiago. Each evening, there is a procession through the town to the awesome, and magnificently old church in the center of the town. The procession has a different band and a special dance performed by costumed men and boys each night. After the procession reaches the church, almost everyone goes inside for service and then afterward a band plays into the night outside the church.


*dancers dressed up for as moors for the procession last night

the search for fort-making materials has begun! more fun to come from galeria perdida in Chilchota, Michoacan!

3 comments:

zinzinzan said...

HI. I WAS IN CHILCHOTA FROM DEC.08-JAN 3RD AND WAS INTERESTED TO SEE IF ANYTHING WAS POSTED ON THE NET. TO MY SURPRIZE I SEE YOUR STORY ABOUT OUR WONDERFUL AND COLORFUL TRADITIONS. I ALSO GOT SOME GREAT PHOTOS MAYBE I CAN SEND YOU A COUPLE?

LeoR said...

what's with the CAPS LOCK, zinzinzan?

Ms Zin79 said...

hello my family is from chilchota and i love the fact that someone out there has taken the time to write about this wonderful place. I'm looking forward to see more photos if you happen to post anymore. By the way I know some of the people that you mention on your blog. COOL!